Daniel Webster delivering a speech in Congress
- Henry Clay introduced legislation to resolve the slavery issue
between North and South, and Daniel Webster attacked the
abolitionists in debating the compromise.
- John C. Calhoon died in Washington at the age of 68, and
President Taylor died in office and was succeeded by Millard
- The population of the U.S. was 23 million, and the estimated
national wealth was $7.1 billion.
- New Mexico and Utah were admitted as territories.
- 369,000 immigrants arrived in New York from Europe.
- Chicago passed a resolution nullifying the fugitive slave
- Brigham Young was named territorial governor of Utah.
- The new National Road was completed, connecting Illinois to the
- In December, Congress approved D.D. Mitchell's request for
funding for the treaty council at Horse Creek.